Marcos Sr. NEVER promised to give away his fortune
A Facebook vlogger used a YouTube video that falsely claimed that late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. promised to give his wealth to the Filipino people.
Official legal documents prove otherwise. Marcos’ last will and testaments dated 1982 and 1988 show that the former president entrusted his fortune only to his immediate family and not to his compatriots, according to the University’s Center for Third World Studies. of the Philippines (UP TWSC).
In the erroneous video originally posted on July 20 by the YouTube channel Sa Iyong Araw, the voice-over narrator quoted Marcos businesswoman and loyalist Serafia “Cherry” Cobarrubias’ assertion that “on his deathbed, former President Marcos mentioned that 3% of his wealth would go to his family while the remaining 97% would go to the Filipino people.” Cobarrubias made this false statement during an episode from May 17 of The Rita Gadi show.
Marcos’ 1988 last will and testament shows that he explicitly entrusted half of his estate to his wife Imelda Marcos and the other half to his children Imee, Bongbong, Irene and adopted daughter Aimee. He also appointed Mrs. Marcos and Bongbong as guardians, trustees and executors of all his properties.
An earlier version of will of the former president dated March 1982of which the Presidential Commission on Good Governance has a full copy, contained details of the wealth given entirely to his wife and children, according to UP TWSC.
The 1982 will also contained a provision revoking any other will signed, executed or published by Marcos. This effectively removed any possible drive by Marcos to distribute his wealth to the Filipino people before 1982, UP TWSC added.
Youtube channel Sa Iyong Araw (created on April 2, 2021) posted the original fake video on July 20, getting over 264,400 views. It was used by the vlogger behind another YouTube channel Real Southern Pride Production (premiered on March 16, 2015) which had 386,600 views.
Facebook group Updated information on Duterte (created on June 16, 2022) put back online on Real Southern Pride Production video on July 24, registering a total of more than 116,600 interactions. All three videos appeared around the time other pro-Marcos vloggers posted videos about Marcos gold.
Have you seen any questionable claims, photos, memes or posts online that you want us to check? fill this reader request form.
(Editor’s note: VERA Files has partnered with Facebook to combat the spread of misinformation. Read more about this Partnership and our methodology.)